I tend to be a very organized person. Unfortunately, some people view this as a negative thing. I’ve been told that I need to relax, that I need to go with the flow, and to stop being so controlling. For the most part, if I’m attending an event planned by someone else, all I need to know is the start time, approximate length of the event, and roughly how many will be there. I don’t necessarily care about what’s going to happen beyond that. If I know the general outline, I’m mentally prepared for anything within that time frame. If I’m the one planning an event, things unfold a little differently.
Lets say I want to go for coffee with a friend.
- Firstly, I’ll decide the best place to meet up. Are they a Starbucks fan or do they prefer a cute cafe?
- I’ll choose a location that’s either closer to them, or equidistant for both of us. Downtown is usually a good, central choice. It’s easily accessible by transit but has lots of parking available if they want to drive.
- I’ll pick a date and time. Typically I’ll choose a Sunday afternoon after lunch. That way, if we only stay a few hours, we don’t need to spend extra money on food. I’ll also figure out how long it will take to get to and from the location.
- I’ll compile a mental list of things we can do in the area. We could window shop, watch a movie, walk along one of the river trails, or sit on a park bench and chat. If I don’t know the area, a quick google search will show me nearby attractions.
- I’ll budget for 2-3 hours of interaction, but depending on the person, it may stretch for a few more. If that happens, we’ll both probably start feeling peckish. I’ll compile another mental list of nearby restaurants ranging in price and formality. Feeling cheap? A&W will do. Want something a little more upscale? Maybe we’ll go to one of the steakhouses.
The whole planning process probably takes 5-10 minutes at most and is often done while I’m driving or making dinner. A few minutes is all the time I need to plan things out. Once I’ve figured out the details, I’ll text my friend the invite. If the answer is affirmative, the coffee date goes ahead as planned.
I really don’t see myself as being controlling. Nor do I get stressed out if plans change. Having everything laid out in my head allows me to kick back, relax, and enjoy myself.
Do you like to plan things or do you prefer to wing it?